Saturday, November 29, 2008

Introduction

I started cooking in Paris when I was 19 years old in a new apartment, alone for the first time. Not only was I in a new world, but it was the time of the new roman, the new philosophy and the new cuisine! A clever French publisher, Robert Laffont had just published La Nouvelle Cuisine of young happening chefs. Michel Guérard’s La Cuisine Thin (La Cuisine Minceur) became my bible. By following his recipes, I learned to master the basic techniques. At first, I followed his directions religiously but a move to Chicago made me learn to substitute impossible to find French ingredients for those available in my supermarket. The discovery of American products and local markets was the next step in my development and I started an organic vegetable garden. Today, I use mostly in-season local products, home frozen vegetables, and dry goods.
I will share with you my recipes centered on seasonal products as I create them weekly as well as my methods to save time and effort.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Marie Eve, from Paris so many thanks to share your wonderful secret. I do hope I shal reach wisdom and delight for my family and husband. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. plats délicieux : je réitère mon invitation : à quand un week-end initiation pomerol st émilion poulet aux truffes à Siaurac ?
    vive les produits de saison bons pour le développement durable de notre terre ... et de notre corps !
    baisers
    Aline Goldschmidt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marie Eve,
    Your recipes sound wonderful and I look forward to trying each one. It is always good to spread your wings and try new things, I find myself falling into the trap of cooking the same dishes over and over again.
    Some of your ingredients are things my Dad often spoke of eating in his childhood(chestnuts and Quince), Years ago I tried to find them and they were not available. I think they are now readily available now. Thank you for this opportunity to add new flavors to my families palates

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although a recipe is not posted, do you have a secret for courgettes?

    JC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courgettes or zucchini are abundant in the summer, especially when you grow them in your garden. I use them raw just sliced with a potato peeler in a salad, or by themselves with olive oil and a drop of lemon. I like zucchini au gratin for the winter ones.
    For two small individual soufflé dishes
    1 zucchini washed peeled and cubed
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1 teaspoon caraway seeds
    1/3 cup of Gouda cubed
    1 teaspoon butter
    flour to dust the soufflé dishes

    Turn oven at 360
    Beat the egg with the curry and caraway seeds, add the zucchini cubes and the Gouda. Butter and dust with flour the soufflé dishes. Pour the batter in and cook for thirty minutes or until golden.

    ReplyDelete